1.Math: There is a math test on Monday for Multiplication. Students who are still missing sheets were sent home with what they were missing stapled together in a packet (look for a packet with an index card attached) and a few others had sheets almost done, but needed a few finishing touches. Please ask your kiddo about their math and see if they were finished - we celebrated each kiddo who finished, so they know if they are done or not.
2. Lit groups are not due until the week after we come back from break - students have a sheet to do and pages to read. Things to focus on: In the discussion director portion - this should be open ended questions about the book, NOT statements. Students are posing a question about the reading/character to their group in this section. In the Illustrator section- this SHOULD NOT be a picture from the book. This is a place for students to show their mental image of something that happened or someone that is in the story - not just copy a picture from the book. Clever Connector section - we are working on deeper connections. This means that a connection should be related back to the story in some way (even stronger if they can mention a specific section or page number), so, "In my story the mom grounded the child on p. 23 because she didn't do her homework and it reminded me of last month when my mom grounded me because I didn't come home from the park when I was supposed to..."
-Flora and Ulysses due 12/1
-Trins due 12/2
-Marty due 12/4
-Watson due 12/3
-Humphry due 11/30
3. Journals were given out today. If your child hasn't turned in their Thankful writing piece, please help them make sure that it is here for Monday as we will be working on it some more. Journals for this week will not be due until the Friday that we come back from break (12/4) and are "Something I am proud of" for the structured paragraph and a free write. Please keep encouraging your student to use their best writing and add details. We are working hard in class on using our best descriptions to help the reader picture what we are writing about.
4. Reading: The reading log that went out at the beginning of the month should be coming back to school by 11/24. This was a brownish sheet, looks like a calendar, to keep mins of reading on. You will get another one for December Reading.
5. Projects: Africa projects are in full swing. Projects will be presented on Monday. Please help your student remember to bring their items back - many took them with today to add finishing touches. Some students are doing an poster, some a google presentation, etc. Projects should have their sources documented somewhere.
6. Behavior: Students in third grade have been talked to multiple times this week about making sure that they are lining up when asked, are practicing safe behavior for recess and making sure that they are following lunchroom rules. We took some time to reflect on this, but if you would add it to your discussions at home that would be appreciated.
7.Crayfish: this week, students took time to think about what crayfish prefer in order to construct the best man-made habitat. They then worked in small groups to design what their group would put in their section of the crayfish pool. Currently, our pond is filled with fake plants, yogurt containers, washers, PVC pipes and more! It looks beautiful! Students will then be collecting data regularly about which section the crayfish prefer. The challenge will be trying to find the crayfish in their creative, heavily covered habitats.
Dates to remember:
- No School - November 25-27 (Wednesday, Thursday & Friday of next week)
- Pe/Music on Monday
- LMC on Tuesday - bring library books!
Thats it for now. Please let me know if any questions arise. Have a great weekend!